South Carolina State Historical Marker 46-62
This historical marker for the York County Courthouse is located at 2 South Congress Street, York, SC and was sponsored by the Yorkville Historical Society and the Culture & Heritage Museums of York County, 2016
Photograph courtesy of Karenmarie Marley, August 2017
York County Courthouses – Side 1
There have been four York County courthouses on this site. The first courthouse was constructed of squared logs in 1786. In 1799 it was replaced by a small brick building. Noted SC architect Robert Mills designed a third courthouse, complete in 1825. This building was constructed of local granite and red brick, with a large portico and Doric columns. The second story was badly damaged by an accidental fire in 1892.
York County Courthouses – Side 2
The 1825 courthouse was remodeled following the 1892 fire. It was replaced by a Classical style courthouse completed in 1915. Designed by William Augustus Edwards, the courthouse was one of nine Edwards designed county courthouses in SC. The monumental two-story yellow brick building features a Colossal Ionic tetrastyle portico. It was listed in the National Register of Historical Places in 1981 and renovated in 2016.