Photograph courtesy of Wanda Fowler, August 2015
First Presbyterian Church was organized in 1842, and this church was built in 1863. It is Gothic Revival architecture designed by Charleston’s Robert Walker in 1846. The spire of the steeple reaches a height of 150 feet. Much of a major restoration project was completed in 2016. Roof and floor framing was repaired or replaced, and the slate roof was restored. Original flooring was preserved and reinstalled. Window and other work continues. As do most York churches, this church has a fine pipe organ. Our thanks to the church.